Kadapa City

Kadapa (Telugu: కడప), formerly Cuddapah, is a city in the south-central part of Andhra Pradesh, India and is the headquarters of Y.S.R District). The city's name originated from the Telugu word "Gadapa" meaning threshold or gate. It was spelled "Cuddapah" but was changed to "Kadapa" on 19 August 2005 to reflect the local pronunciation of the name.[1]

Kadapa is famous for great personalities in medieval times e.g., Vemana, Pothuluri Veera Bramham, Annamacharya, Pemmasani Thimma Nayudu and patronised Telugu lovers such as C P Brown, Bishop Caldwell etc.,

Kadapa is one of the important cities in Rayalaseema, Andhra Pradesh, and is situated in the south-central part of the Andhra Pradesh State. It is located 412 kilometres (256 mi) south of state capital, Hyderabad and is situated 8 km south of the Penna River. The city is surrounded on three sides by the Nallamala and Palakonda hills. The city is named "Threshold" because it is the gateway from the north to the sacred hill-'Pagoda' of Shri Venkateshvara (also spelt as Venkateswara) of Tirupati.

Kishkindakanda, one of the 7 kandas of the Ramayanam, is believed to have happened in Vontimitta, Kadapa. Vontimitta is 20 kilometres from the city. The Anjaneya Swamy Gandi may also be part of the Ramayanam; it is believed that the Statue of Anjaneya Swamy in Gandi is made by Sri Rama on a hill stone with his arrow's point to acknowledge Anjaneya's help in finding Sri Sita Devi.

Saturday, December 18, 2010


Cuddapah is located at 14.47°N 78.82°E.[4] It has an average elevation of 138 metres (452 ft). The District of Cuddapah has an area of 8723 m². It is in shape an irregular parallelogram, divided into two nearly equal parts by the range of the Eastern Ghats, which intersects it throughout its entire length. The two tracts thus formed possess totally different features. The first, which constitutes the north, east and south-east of the district, is a low-lying plain; while the other, which comprises the southern and southwestern portion, forms a high table-land from 1500 to 2,500 ft (760 m) above sea-level. The chief river is the Penna, which enters the district from Bellary on the west, and flows eastwards into Nellore. Though a large and broad river, and in the rains containing a great volume of water, in the hot weather months it dwindles down to an inconsiderable stream. Its principal tributaries are the Kundaur, Saglair, Cheyair and Papagni rivers.
Kadapa is in the shape of an irregular parallelogram, divided in half by the range of the Eastern ghats. The city lies in the "Bugga" or "Ralla Vanka" in a hollow bordered on the south by the main Palakondas, part of the eastern ghats, and on the east by a strip of the same hills projecting north towards the Lankamalas on the other side of the Penneru. The two tracts thus formed possess different features. The first, a low-lying plain about 400 ft (120 m) to 450 ft (137 m) above sea level constitutes the north, east and south-east of the city, while the other,which comprises the southern and south-western portion, forms a high table-land from 1500 to 2,500 ft (760 m) above sea-level.

No comments:

Post a Comment